I’m not really a cook. I hardly ever cook, to be honest. When I lived on my own in an apartment my sophomore year of college, I was lucky if I made myself something decent to eat for dinner most nights of the week! I think there were probably a lot of pizza ordered that year, considering we lived across the street from Domino’s. But, I made dinner the other night, including going to the store to buy all the ingredients. I was very very pleased with it!
Found in Glamour Magazine January 2011 issue.
Jerk Chicken Chili
Makes 6-8 bowls. Keeps well.
From Pam Anderson’s Perfect One Dish Dinners and tastes better with time! (And no, not THAT Pam Anderson.
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 3 tbsp. Chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 large rotisserie chicken, off the bone and shredded (about 6 cups)
- 1 quart (32 oz) chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) each black beans and white beans, both undrained
- 2 tbsp. chopped jalapenos
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 oz. semisweet chocolate (I have never included this.)
1) Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, thyme, cinnamon and allspice. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2) Add chicken and stir to coat with spices. Add broth, tomatoes, beans, and jalapenos, bring to a boil, cover partially, reduce heat and simmer to blend flavors, about 20 minutes.
3) Stir in garlic, cilantro, and chocolate. Turn off heat, cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve and enjoy!
Make it. You’ll be happy you did.